DDI +44 (0) 2045 269310
M +44 (0) 7903 194842
Afzalah focuses on complex commercial disputes involving both litigation and arbitration. She has represented both public and private companies, multinational corporations, banks, private equity firms, and others in matters including multijurisdictional contractual and banking disputes, and regulatory investigations.
Afzalah has represented clients in both English High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings, and before various arbitral bodies.
She also has in-house experience having been seconded to a major pharmaceutical company and to one of the world’s largest outsourcing companies.
Prior to joining Seladore Legal, Afzalah was a senior lawyer in the London office of a US firm.
- – Acting for a consortium of companies registered in Kazakhstan in connection with a US$150 million LCIA Arbitration claim for breach of contract relating to the construction of an offshore oil rig.
- – Acting for a Kazakh defendant in both High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings with respect to applications challenging the English Court’s jurisdiction and to set aside a freezing order in relation to a dispute involving claims brought by a Kazakh bank in subrogation, conspiracy to defraud, unjust enrichment and constructive trusteeship for over US$1 billion in circumstances where both criminal and civil proceedings had already been commenced in Kazakhstan.
- – Acting for a Greek mobile telecommunications company in relation to High Court proceedings commenced by a Slovenian telecommunications company for breach of warranty and indemnification claims pursuant to the terms of a Share Purchase Agreement for the sale and purchase of a third party telecommunications company.
- – Acting for a London Stock Exchange listed oil and gas company (and its subsidiaries in Ukraine) in connection with claims against a number of its former officers and various contracting parties for, inter alia, bribery, conspiracy to defraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- – Acting for a Bahraini venture capital bank in a DIAC Arbitration with respect to claims arising out of the alleged breach of a share purchase agreement entered into with a Qatari investment bank for the sale and purchase of shares in an engineering and construction company.
- – Acting for an international investment bank in relation to a US$200 million multijurisdictional dispute involving claims for fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation against another bank, following the collapse and insolvency of the borrower.
- – Acting for a diversified global company listed on the NYSE with respect to a dispute involving demands from the Inland Revenue for approximately £55 million for alleged unpaid custom duties and value added tax payments by its UK subsidiary.
- – Acting for a major global airline in connection with worldwide cartel investigations into the air cargo industry, with responsibility for the review of evidence in Europe with respect to both European Commission and US Department of Justice investigations.
Afzalah has been described as “one to watch, detail focused and hard working” in THE LEGAL 500 UK 2022.
She has also been published in the following legal journals:
- – Calderbank Offers Still Play A Role In English Litigation (Law360, Expert Analysis, 30 June 2020)
- – English Court of Appeal Considers Test for Legal Advice Privilege (25 February 2020)
- – The e-Discovery and Information Governance Law Review (Chapter on England and Wales, Edition 1 (July 2019) & Edition 2 (June 2020).
News & Media
Dan Hudson speaks at Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit
Dan Hudson of Seladore Legal was yesterday joined by Chris Coltart KC and Nick Querée at Legal Business’ annual Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit, to discuss developments… Read More Dan Hudson speaks at Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit
Seladore featured in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide
Seladore Legal is delighted to have been endorsed by our peers and ranked in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide for Civil Fraud. Amongst the praise… Read More Seladore featured in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide