DDI +44 (0) 2045 262935
M +44 (0) 7903 521747
Richard specialises in complex commercial disputes, with a particular focus on multi-party international arbitration (including investment treaty arbitration).
He has advised on disputes under the arbitration rules of the major international arbitration bodies (LCIA; ICC; DIAC; SIAC; UNCITRAL; OHADA), in addition to advising on English High Court litigation and interim remedies.
He has significant experience in energy-related disputes in West Africa, China, and CIS countries; he has also advised on many high-value disputes in other industry sectors, and on internal and external regulatory investigations.
Prior to joining Seladore Legal, Richard practised at a major US law firm for over eight years. Richard is fluent in French, and has a working knowledge of many other languages including Spanish, Indonesian and German.
- – Acting for a joint venture partner in an oil and gas company in central Asia in an LCIA arbitration in relation to breach of contract claims, involving claims and counterclaims with a total value of over $150 million.
- – Acting for a major US marketing company in a multi-jurisdictional dispute with a private individual and companies associated with him. Claims and counterclaims included serious allegations of fraud, together with claims for breach of contract with a total value of over $1 billion.
- – Representing Elliot Capital Management in a High Court claim for breach of a loan guarantee with a value of over $50 million; the assets guaranteed were in a variety of African jurisdictions, including Burkina Faso and DRC.
- – Acting for a financially distressed Russian property development company and its subsidiaries in a complex dispute with a major British construction firm with a value of over $90 million, involving LCIA arbitration, Russian court proceedings and an anti-suit injunction in the English High Court.
- – Representing a CIS bank in a multi-jurisdictional dispute involving a loan secured over assets with a value of over $500 million.
- – Representing the government of a central Asian country in an UNCITRAL investment treaty arbitration with claims including expropriation and violation of the most favoured nation standard, with a value of over $400 million.
- – Acting for a state-owned oil company and its subsidiaries in an LCIA arbitration with a private individual in relation to assets in Saudi Arabia and China, with a potential value of over $100 million.
- – Successfully advising on a pro bono basis on an appeal in relation to planning permission for the proposed demolition of the Sutton Estate social housing units in Kensington & Chelsea, which drew both local and national press attention.
Richard has had the following articles published in legal journals:
- – Oil and Gas Sale and Purchase Agreements (Chapter on governing law and jurisdiction clauses, Edition 1 (January 2017) & Edition 2 (November 2020))
- – Contract Negotiation Considerations (Arabian Oil and Gas, January 2014)
- – Mace (Russia) Ltd v Retansel Enterprises Ltd & Ano’r  EWHC 1209 (Comm): lead associate
- – Section 78 Appeal made by Clarion Housing Group Land at William Sutton Estate, Cale Street, London, SW3 3QY, Application Ref: PP/15/04878: lead associate.
News & Media
Dan Hudson speaks at Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit
Dan Hudson of Seladore Legal was yesterday joined by Chris Coltart KC and Nick Querée at Legal Business’ annual Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit, to discuss developments… Read More Dan Hudson speaks at Financial Regulatory and Disputes Summit
Seladore featured in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide
Seladore Legal is delighted to have been endorsed by our peers and ranked in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide for Civil Fraud. Amongst the praise… Read More Seladore featured in Chambers and Partners’ 2024 UK Guide